SLINGSHOT is a hands-on, servant leadership development program for young people.
With a slingshot, an object is taken from its dormant state, placed in an intense, energy-packed environment and then slung towards a target with purpose, momentum and direction. CBOQ Youth aims to pour into a youth or young adult over a short period of time while giving practical experience that would see them then be released back into their sphere of influence with greater impact and clearer direction. This takes place within some of our events or our cross-regional exchanges with our Canadian Baptist Youth partners.
Apply to be a slingshot at Avalanche and/or Blizzard.
Avalanche/Blizzard Slingshot Overview 2023
The CBOQ YOUTH Slingshot program is an exciting opportunity to learn about and practice being a servant. Students work together as a team to make things happen at CBOQ Youth’s winter retreats.
Being a part of the slingshot team is an exciting way to serve in the company of other dynamic and interesting young people. Students are recruited and led by the Slingshot Supervisor. Together this team makes things happen behind the scenes of our Avalanche and Blizzard retreats, as they participate in everything from the pre-retreat preparations to traffic control to praying for the guests who attend.
Also, you may choose whether you’d like to participate in administrative/guest relations, recreation, or session production. Some students return year after year to serve as students; other come back year after year in other roles.
Spots are limited, but if this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been hoping for, we look forward to receiving your application!
A Learning Experience
The best way to learn is through practical hands-on experience mixed with training and reflection. Slingshot is meant to provide young adults who are interested in developing ministry skills an opportunity to gain experience and training.
Slingshot students will learn:
• To serve in many aspects of a large ministry event
• To reflect on ministry and servanthood
• How values shape strategies for ministry
• About their gifts and how to use their gifts in the service of Jesus Christ
• To develop a short-term personal growth plan with the Slingshot Coordinator
Applying to be a Slingshot Student
There are several positions at each retreat.
Students must be:
1. 18 years of age or older for the Blizzard retreats, and 16 or older for Avalanche
2. Recommended by their pastor/youth leader (cannot be a family member or relative)
3. Willing to learn through practical experiences
4. Develop and complete a personal growth plan with the intern coordinator
5. Complete the CBOQ Youth volunteer screening process, including having a valid criminal record check and vulnerable sector scan within the last three years.
Schedule and Application
For students and other staff, the retreat begins on the Thursday before the retreat weekend. They will begin working and communicating closely with each other and with the Slingshot Supervisor once there. Slingshots are expected to be ready by 7:00 pm (no later); it is the student’s responsibility to make adjustments (including school schedules) accordingly. Leadership development will be overseen by the Slingshot Supervisor; however work assignments will be given by the appropriate staff member.
Candidates will apply as individuals. The recommendation form and application must both be submitted to CBOQ Youth by October 31, 2022.