Every summer, Canada Summer Jobs provides funds for organizations (like churches) to hire youth/young adults (ages 15-30) for paid positions during the summer.
Their deadline (although the 2023 edition has not yet been published) is typically in late January; the deadline in 2022 was January 25.
With a couple of months before the deadline, some considerations:
- Review the criteria and timeline established by CSJ. This includes the criteria of eligibility, how the applications are assessed (e.g. will there be mentoring/supervision for the applicant?), and type of work placement.
- Determine what is the approval process within your church’s governance. e.g. Does the application and/or positions need to be approved by your governing board? If so, when?
- If you have any recurring positions, ensure those job descriptions are up to date and approved accordingly.
- Determine if there are any projects that your church would not normally be able to fund. For example, one church did not have the resources to establish a social media strategy. Last summer, they were approved to hire a social media manager who developed a social media strategy proposal for that church to consider.
- Begin the application at least a couple of weeks in advance. There are key details you will need to have (e.g Canada Revenue Agency business number); review the CSJ webpage for those details so you are prepared to complete the application fully.
As you consider ways you can provide ministry opportunities this coming summer, discern what ways you can bless your community and your students. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Alvin.
revised: November 14, 2022